Land management regulatory bodies are requiring utility and transportation corridors to be shared by many corridor services. There can be dire consequences where electrical transmission lines are co-located with metal infrastructure like pipelines. The interaction with potent electromagnetic fields can lead to:
Some of the unique characteristics of SAE AC mitigation solutions are:
- Large diameter electrodes consisting of a copper core embedded in a solid Conducrete® surround.
- The large surface area of SAE electrodes easily handles the dissipation of substantial amounts of induced current, whether from electrical transmission lines or from lightning strikes.
- Energy dissipation is via electronic energy transfer into the soil, giving AC Mitigation electrodes extremely long lifetimes.
- Installed electrodes are environmentally neutral with very low corrosion rates.
Conducrete® is a conductive cementitious and carbonaceous material that dramatically enhances the performance, reliability and longevity of grounding systems and cathodic protection systems. The conductive and insulating materials used in the formulation give it a capacitive nature.
Thus, Conducrete® offers many advantages:
- Extends the life of grounding systems by a factor of up to 20x
- Theft resistant and requires minimal maintenance — once Conducrete® sets
- Compressive strength and low shrinkage allowing it to withstand fault currents
- High water absorption due to constant hydration
- Environmentally neutral
Conducrete® can store and release energy the same way that a capacitor will store energy until it is grounded or allowed to release the energy into a circuit. The material absorbs high rise time electrical surges keeping ground potential rise in check and preventing damage.
The SAE engineered ConduFlex AC Terminator is a high performance, minimal maintenance AC Mitigation electrode. The ConduFlex AC Terminator effectively dissipates elevated levels of induced AC current and provides more pipeline protection over a longer life than current solutions.
ConduFlex offers a variety of benefits:
- Water impermeable, reducing corrosion of the copper core
- Maintains excellent electrical performance characteristics over extended lifecycle
- pH neutral and chemically stable for low environmental impact
- Designed for fast, efficient continuous installation process
- Offers lower total cost of ownership (TCO)
The ConduFlex AC Terminator is manufactured similar to Seal for Life’s (SFL) AnodeFlex product and consists of a cotton sleeve containing a copper cable, encased in Conducrete® backfill. The larger diameter electrodes consisting of a copper core are embedded in Conducrete® and a hygroscopic carbonaceous material that “sets-up” to form solid, robust electrodes. Thus, making the installed electrodes environmentally neutral, with very low corrosion rates.