Land management regulatory bodies are requiring utility and transportation corridors to be shared by many corridor services. There can be dire consequences where electrical transmission lines are co-located with metal infrastructure like pipelines. The interaction with potent electromagnetic fields can lead to:
Some of the unique characteristics of SAE AC Mitigation solutions are:
- Large diameter electrodes consisting of a copper core embedded in a solid Conducrete® surround.
- The large surface area of SAE electrodes easily handles the dissipation of substantial amounts of induced current, whether from electrical transmission lines or from lightning strikes.
- Energy dissipation is via electronic energy transfer into the soil, giving AC Mitigation electrodes extremely long lifetimes.
- Installed electrodes are environmentally neutral with very low corrosion rates.
Conducrete® solidifies to form a conductive impermeable surround that dramatically reduces electrode corrosion. Conducrete® electrodes have a large surface area that improves electrical performance and extends the lifespan of the system up to 20X that of bare copper wire electrodes. Conducrete® electrodes can be installed horizontally or vertically to suit performance requirements and available space. Conducrete® is available in a 25 lb bag, 55 lb bag or 2000 lb super sacs.
Conducrete® offers many advantages:
- Extends the life of grounding systems by a factor of up to 20x
- Theft resistant and requires minimal maintenance – once set
- Compressive strength and low shrinkage
- High water absorption due to constant hydration
- Withstands high fault currents
- Environmentally neutral
Conducrete® can store and release energy the same way that a capacitor will store energy until it is grounded or allowed to release the energy into a circuit. The material absorbs high rise time electrical surges keeping ground potential rise in check and preventing damage.
The SAE engineered ConduFlex AC Terminator is a high performance, minimal maintenance AC Mitigation electrode. The ConduFlex AC Terminator effectively dissipates elevated levels of induced AC current and provides more pipeline protection over a longer life than current solutions.
ConduFlex offers a variety of benefits:
- Low permeability, reducing corrosion of the copper core
- Maintains excellent electrical performance characteristics over extended lifecycle
- pH neutral and chemically stable for low environmental impact
- Designed for fast, efficient continuous installation process
- Long life and high performance protection provide a lower cost of ownership
The ConduFlex AC Terminator consists of a reinforced outer jacket of weaved polymeric material for added strength which contains a copper cable, encased in Conducrete® backfill. Conducrete® is a hygroscopic carbonaceous material that “sets-up” to form solid, robust electrodes – making the installed electrodes environmentally neutral, with very low corrosion rates.